The first known Father’s Day service occurred at the Williams Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church South in Fairmont, West Virginia, on July 5, 1908, thanks to the efforts of Grace Golden Clayton. Mrs. Clayton had asked her pastor, Dr. R. Thomas Webb, if a Sunday service could be held to honor fathers.
The first official Father’s Day celebrations however, took place in Spokane, Washington, on June 19, 1910 (the third Sunday in June), and became an annual event there. Soon, it was picked up by other countries as well.
As we gear up to celebrate the love we have for our dads, here are 5 dishes you could make for the first heroes in your life.
Badam Cutlets (Chef Kunal Kapur)
- Potato (boiled and mashed) – 2 cups
- Salt –3/4th tsp
- Almonds (blanched and crushed) – 1/2 cup
- Oil – 3 tblspn
- Oil – for frying
- Jeera – 2 tsp
- Ginger chopped – 1 tblspn
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilly powder– 1/2 tsp
- Green chilly chopped – 2 tsp
- Green onions – 1/2 cup
- Eggs – 2 no
- Maida – 1cup
- Breadcrumbs – 1 cup
- Heat oil in a pan and add jeera. Then add green chilly chopped, ginger chopped, crushed almonds, sauté and add turmeric and red chilly powder. Immediately add the mashed potato and salt. Sauté for 3 minutes, remove and add spring onions chopped. Allow it to cool down. Now shape it into thin flat patties.
- Separately in 3 plates keep ready flour, beaten eggs and bread crumbs.In the first step, dip the cutlet in flour, pat then dip in eggs and then dip in bread crumbs. Lightly pat and deep fry on medium heat. Serve hot with chutney.
Almond and Chicken Momos (without shell) (Chef Kunal Kapur)
- Chicken mince – 250 gms
- Garlic, chopped – 1 tbsp
- Carrots, finely chopped – 3 tbsp
- Spring onions, finely chopped – 3 tbsp
- Ginger, finely chopped – 1 tbsp
- Soya sauce – 1 tbsp
- Oyster sauce – 1 tbsp
- Sesame oil – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Egg – 1 no
- Blanched & chopped almonds – ½ cup
- Oil – for greasing
- Place the chicken mince in a bowl. Add all the ingredients except almonds and divide it into equal-sized balls.
- Roll these balls in the blanched and chopped almonds and carefully place these small balls on a greased plate. Get the steamer ready and steam these on high heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove and serve the momos hot.
- Paneer – 2 cups
- Potato boiled & mashed – ½ cup
- Oil – 2 ½ tbsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Green chilly chopped – 2 tsp
- Ginger chopped – 2 tsp
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander chopped – 2 tbsp
- Almonds chopped – ½ cup
- Cornflour -1 tbsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Mash the paneer and mix with the potato. Heat oil and add jeera, once it crackles add the ginger and green chilly. Toss them for few seconds and add the turmeric and immediately add the paneer potato mixture.
- Add red chilly powder and salt. Toss for 2-3 mins and take off the flame. Spread out on a tray and allow to cool completely. Now add cornflour and coriander chopped.
- Make round and flat patties. Spread almonds that are chopped. Roll the sides of the patty in the almonds and keep aside. Heat remaining oil in a pan and cook the patties on both sides till brown. Serve hot.
Salt and Pepper Chicken (Chef Choong Chew Loon, Royal China, New Delhi)
- 300g boneless chicken
- 4 tbsp vegetable/sunflower oil
- 1- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-4 green and/or red chillies, sliced
- Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Rice wine vinegar
- Put the chicken in the oven and set for 30 minutes.
- Put oil in a frying pan or wok and place on a moderate heat.
- Add the onions and green pepper, and stir-fry for a few minutes.
- Add the garlic and chillies when the onion and pepper.
- Stir until onions have turned golden, and then add 2 pinches of salt and a few grinds of pepper.
- Turn down the heat.When the chicken is ready, cut it up into thick slices and place in the pan.
- Add vinegar and salt.
- Stir well.
- Add more oil if needed.Once the chicken has been covered with the mixture, serve fresh.
Mango and Pistachio Opera (Executive Sous Chef, Lokesh Jarodia at Novotel Imagica Khopoli)
- Opera Sponge
- Icing sugar 720 gms
- Almond Powder 840 gms
- Flour 240 gms
- Egg 24 No
- Castor sugar 360 gms
- Melted Butter 180 gms
- Vanilla Essence 50 Ml
- Chocolate Ganache
- Fresh Cream 1 Kg
- Dark chocolate 2 kg
- Butter Cream
- Yolk 20 No
- Sugar 600 gms
- Water 200 ml
- Butter 900 gms
- Mango Curd
- Butter 150 GMS
- Egg yolk 5 No
- Sugar 250 gms
- Custard Powder 30 gms
- Lemon Zest 1 No
- Mango Pulp 200 ml
Opera sponge cake Method:
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425°F. Beat whole eggs in a large bowl, and then add almond flour and Castor sugar and mix until just combined. Resift cake flour over batter and gently fold in.
- Beat egg whites in a bowl with cleaned beaters at medium speed until foamy.
- Fold one third of whites into almond mixture to lighten, and then fold in remaining whites gently.
- Bake until very pale golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
Make chocolate ganache:
- Take sauce pan, heat the cream and add chocolate. Whisk it nicely.
- While syrup boils, beat yolks in a large bowl with cleaned beaters at medium speed for around one minute until become cold.
- Put butter slowly and fold it nicely. To make it smooth butter cream.
- Take a sauce pan, heat the mango puree add sugar, pectin and corn starch, cook around two minutes, add butter and blend. And cool it. So that it will get thick.
- Put sponge square on a plate, then brush generously with one third of coffee syrup. Spread half of butter cream evenly over top with cleaned offset spatula, spreading to edges.
- Arrange both cake strips side by side on top of first layer, then brush with half of remaining coffee syrup. Spread half of glaze evenly over top, spreading just to edges.
- Now put a layer of mango curd over the second layer of sponge, top with remaining cake square and brush with remaining coffee syrup. Spread remaining buttercream evenly over top, spreading just to edges. Again the second layer of sponge goes like same first one after that will spread mango curd in second layer. Again we have to put the sponge as first one, at last we will spread chocolate ganache, at last glaze and ready to serve.