FOXTAIL MILLET VEGETABLE BIRYANI/ CHICKEN BIRYANI
- Foxtail millet 1½ cup
- Onion sliced 2
- Carrots 2
- French beans 15
- Green peas (shelled) 1 cup
- Salt, as per taste
- Green cardamom 8
- Black cardamom 1
- Cloves 15
- Cinnamon ½ inch stick
- Bay leaf 1
- Caraway seeds ½ tsp
- Ginger-garlic paste 1½ tsp
- Turmeric powder 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder 1 tsp
- Coriander powder 1 tsp
- Tomatoes (chopped) 1 cup
- Garam masala 1 tsp
- Lemon juice 1 tsp
- Fresh coriander leaves 2 tsp
- Fresh mint leaves (chopped) 2 tsp
- Boil foxtail millet in four cups of salted water with cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon, until three-fourth done. Drain excess water and set aside. Boil all chopped vegetables and keep aside.
- Add green cardamom, cloves, black cardamom and cinnamon along with bay leaf and caraway seeds, and roast in a thick bottomed pan.
- Add tomatoes, ginger-garlic paste, deep fried onions, carrot, French beans and boiled peas. Sprinkle salt, cover and cook on medium heat for two minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli, coriander, garam masala powder and mix well. Simmer for two minutes.
- Arrange a layer of millet at the top; over that arrange half cooked vegetables.
- Sprinkle fried onions, lemon juice, coriander and mint leaves.
- Cover with a lid and cook. Let it stand for five minutes. Serve hot.
NOTE: For chicken biryani; in the place of vegetables chicken is to be substituted, while the remaining procedure is the same.
BLACK RICE SALAD
- Black rice 2/3 cup
- Chopped onions ½ cup
- Chopped tomatoes ½ cup
- Salt ¼ tsp
- Olive oil 3 tbsp
- Bell pepper (coarsely chopped) ½ cup
- Lemon juice 1½ tbsp
- Honey ½ tbsp
- Pepper to taste
- Green onions (sliced) 2 tbsp
- Pomegranate ½ cup
- Add 2/3 cup black rice in a vessel. Add 150 ml water. Place vessel in a pressure cooker. Cook rice on high flame for three whistles and at medium flame for another three whistles. Cool.
- Whisk two tbsp oil, lemon juice, honey, and pepper in a serving bowl. Toss with black rice, chopped onions, tomatoes and bell peppers along with pomegranate seeds.
CHIA, FLAX SEED & MILLET COOKIES
- Multi millet flour 1 cup
- Chia seeds 2 tbsp
- Flax seeds 2 tbsp
- Himalayan rock salt ½ tsp
- Cinnamon powder 1 tsp
- Cardomom powder ½ tsp
- Coconut ½ cup
- Cold pressed groundnut oil 1/3 cup
- Organic jaggery ½ cup
- In a bowl; mix multi millet flour, chia seeds, flax seeds (partly crushed), Himalayan rock salt, cinnamon and cardamom powder.
- In another bowl, mix coconut, cold-pressed groundnut oil and organic jaggery melted in ¼ cup of water.
- Heat oven to 180°C.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients to form a wet dough.
- Put down spoonfuls – half-inch apart on a baking tray (lined with oiled butter paper or foil.)
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- When cool, remove from paper. They should be crisp outside and soft inside.
— Recipes courtesy: Vismitha Yeshwanth