Skoda has launched a special edition model of the Rapid for the festive season. Called the Skoda Rapid Onyx Edition, it is a limited-run model, priced from Rs 9.75 lakh to Rs 12.73 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi). This makes it upto Rs 1.57 lakh more expensive than the mid-spec Ambition variant and Rs 1 lakh cheaper than the top-spec Style variant.
Here are the prices:
|Rapid Ambition*||Rapid Onyx||Rapid Style|
|Petrol MT||Rs 8.99 lakh||Rs 9.75 lakh (+Rs 76k)||Rs 10.75 lakh (+Rs 1 lakh)|
|Petrol AT||Rs 9.99 lakh||Rs 10.99 lakh (+Rs 1 lakh)||Rs 11.99 lakh (+Rs 1 lakh)|
|Diesel MT||Rs 9.99 lakh||Rs 11.58 lakh (+Rs 1.57 lakh)||Rs 12.58 lakh (+Rs 1 lakh)|
|Diesel DSG||Rs 11.73 lakh||Rs 12.73 lakh (+Rs 1 lakh)||Rs 13.73 lakh (+Rs 1 lakh)|
*Festive Season prices only
Note: The Skoda Rapid is available in three variants: Active, Ambition and Style. Skoda also offers the Rapid Edition, which is priced higher than the top-spec Style variant.
Let’s take a look at what all it offers:
- Projector headlamps with ‘white bulbs’ and LED DRLs, along with gloss black ORVMs, side moulding, B-pillars and trunk lip garnish
- Rides on 16-inch alloy wheels with a glossy black finish
- The Rapid Onyx is available in two colour options, Lapiz Blue and Candy White, the former of which is a brand new shade
- On the inside, the Rapid Onyx edition features dual-tone ‘Ebony-Sand’ leatherette upholstery with a wooden finish
- It also gets a flat-bottom, leather-wrapped steering wheel with black stitching, a 6.5-inch touchscreen infotainment system with MirrorLink, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, scuff plates with ‘RAPID’ inscription, rear windscreen sunblind, textile mats and a 12V power socket in the front and rear console
- The Rapid Onyx shares its equipment with the mid-spec Ambition variant. So it gets dual front airbags, ABS with EBD, tilt and telescopic steering, auto climate control with rear AC vents, rear parking sensors and electrically adjustable and foldable ORVMs
- The automatic variants of the Skoda Rapid Onyx also feature electronic stability control (diesel only) and hill hold control just like the standard automatic variants
- Mechanically, the Rapid Onyx is similar to the standard Rapid. It can be had with a 1.5-litre TDI diesel and a 1.6-litre MPI petrol engine. The diesel motor produces 110PS/250Nm while the petrol engine is good for 105PS/153Nm
- Both the engines are mated to a 5-speed MT. However, they are also available with an automatic transmission. While the petrol gets a 6-speed AT, the diesel comes with a 7-speed DSG automatic.
The Skoda Rapid Onyx Edition attracts a premium of upto Rs 1.57 lakh over the Ambition variant. It seems overpriced considering the limited additional features on offer. Over the Ambition variant, these include white bulb headlamps with LED DRLs, 16-inch alloys, 6.5-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and MirrorLink support.