Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Within months, Google to divide its index, giving mobile users better & fresher content
Oct 13, 2016 by Barry SchwartzCurrently, Google has a single index of documents for search. Google’s Gary Illyes announced they plan on releasing a separate mobile search index, which will become the primary one.
- Google says Penguin 4.0 rollout now complete
Oct 13, 2016 by Barry SchwartzIf you haven’t seen a Google Penguin recovery by now, you may still need to do some link cleanup. Google Penguin 4.0 is now fully rolled out.
- Google Search Console removes sitelinks demotion feature
Oct 13, 2016 by Barry SchwartzAfter 9 years, Google has decided to drop the sitelinks demotion feature from the Google Search Console.
- Google launches new AMP testing tool
Oct 13, 2016 by Barry SchwartzCheck out the new AMP testing tool in the Google Search Console, it combines AMP and structured data errors with a live preview.
- Yahoo is using display ads to drive search traffic for competitive terms
Oct 13, 2016 by Ginny MarvinAds link directly to search results for terms across a number of competitive verticals.
- Google’s latest voter search tool serves up ballot information & polling places
Oct 13, 2016 by Amy GesenhuesQueries for “who’s on my ballot” and “where to vote” delivers an interactive tool that lists candidates and polling locations.
- Are there PPC monsters lurking inside your paid search account?
Oct 13, 2016 by Jacob BaadsgaardAre your paid search campaigns looking a bit scary? Columnist Jacob Baadsgaard describes how to vanquish the monsters that may be wreaking havoc on your accounts and impacting PPC performance.
- What Google’s recent RLSA updates mean for advertisers
Oct 13, 2016 by Andy TaylorColumnist Andy Taylor discusses the impact of two recent changes to Remarketing List for Search Ads announced at SMX East 2016 — expanded RLSA membership duration and cross-device retargeting.
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Is the Verizon-Yahoo deal going south?
- LiveRamp extends its multi-channel identity resolution service to its clients
- Twitter’s Periscope wants to air more TV-style broadcasts
- Pinterest’s monthly user base hits 150 million people, up 50% from last year
- Google unveils new look for AdSense interface
- Social CMO to social CMI: the insight-driven evolution in the enterprise
- Tracking the confusing reality of the cross-social experience
- Facebook will rank Audience Network publishers’ ad slots, price them accordingly
- 10 tips for retailers’ Q4 social advertising
- [Podcast] Marketing Land Live #31: A Conversation with Google’s Gary Illyes (Part 2)
- MarTech Today: AMP status, Facebook’s ad diversions & more
- Buyer’s Guide: Find the right social media management software for your business
Search News From Around The Web:
- Google gets another extension to reply to EU antitrust Shopping charge, TechCrunch
Local & Maps
- Mossberg: Why does Siri seem so dumb?, Recode
- Getting tiled maps into Google Earth, Google Earth Blog
- Google Ready For SEOs Trying To Manipulate Penguin 4.0, Search Engine Roundtable
- Why Didn’t You Recover from Penguin?, Moz
- Add Google Assistant to your phone by tweaking two lines of code, TechCrunch
- Google Search continues testing Material Design interface, allgoogletesting.blogspot.com
- SearchResearch Challenge (10/11/16): Who backs the site?, SearchReSearch
- How to Use Search Analytics in Google Sheets for Better SEO Insights, YouMoz – Moz
- New plugin: Local SEO for WooCommerce, Yoast
- Want to be an awesome SEO? Back your fixes up with real numbers, State of Digital
SEM / Paid Search
- Google’s Use Of Machine Learning In Ranking Algorithms Is Complicated, Search Engine Roundtable
- Why is My PPC Bounce Rate so High?, Metric Theory