MySQL UPDATE statement is used to update data of the MySQL table within the database. It is used when you need to modify the table.
Following is a generic syntax of UPDATE command to modify data into the MySQL table:
- UPDATE table_name SET field1=new-value1, field2=new-value2
- [WHERE Clause]
- One or more field can be updated altogether.
- Any condition can be specified by using WHERE clause.
- You can update values in a single table at a time.
- WHERE clause is used to update selected rows in a table.
Here, we have a table “cus_tbl” within the database “customers”. We are going to update the data within the table “cus_tbl”.
This query will update cus_surname field for a record having cus_id as 5.
- UPDATE cus_tbl
- SET cus_surname = ‘Ambani’
- WHERE cus_id = 5;
Output by SELECT query:
- SELECT * FROM cus_tbl;
Here, you can see that the table is updated as per your conditions.