Servlet technology is used to create web application (resides at server side and generates dynamic web page).
Servlet technology is robust and scalable because of java language. Before Servlet, CGI (Common Gateway Interface) scripting language was popular as a server-side programming language. But there was many disadvantages of this technology. We have discussed these disadvantages below.
There are many interfaces and classes in the servlet API such as Servlet, GenericServlet, HttpServlet, ServletRequest, ServletResponse etc.
What is a Servlet?
Servlet can be described in many ways, depending on the context.
- Servlet is a technology i.e. used to create web application.
- Servlet is an API that provides many interfaces and classes including documentations.
- Servlet is an interface that must be implemented for creating any servlet.
- Servlet is a class that extend the capabilities of the servers and respond to the incoming request. It can respond to any type of requests.
- Servlet is a web component that is deployed on the server to create dynamic web page.
What is web application?
A web application is an application accessible from the web. A web application is composed of web components like Servlet, JSP, Filter etc. and other components such as HTML. The web components typically execute in Web Server and respond to HTTP request.
CGI(Commmon Gateway Interface)
CGI technology enables the web server to call an external program and pass HTTP request information to the external program to process the request. For each request, it starts a new process.
Disadvantages of CGI
There are many problems in CGI technology:
- If number of clients increases, it takes more time for sending response.
- For each request, it starts a process and Web server is limited to start processes.
- It uses platform dependent language e.g. C, C++, perl.
Advantage of Servlet
There are many advantages of servlet over CGI. The web container creates threads for handling the multiple requests to the servlet. Threads have a lot of benefits over the Processes such as they share a common memory area, lightweight, cost of communication between the threads are low. The basic benefits of servlet are as follows:
- better performance: because it creates a thread for each request not process.
- Portability: because it uses java language.
- Robust: Servlets are managed by JVM so we don’t need to worry about memory leak, garbage collection etc.
- Secure: because it uses java language..