A list of top frequently asked WordPress interview questions and answers are given below.
1) What is WordPress?
WordPress is an Open Source Content Management System (CMS) and a blogging tool that is based on PHP and MySQL. It is free of cost and you can use it on any type of personal and commercial website.
WordPress is the most popular blogging system and used on more than 60 million websites. It is licensed under GPL.
2) Is a website on WordPress safe and secure?
WordPress is safe and secure to operate. You should not have to worry about anything but still it is suggested to keep updating with the latest version of WordPress to avoid hacking.
3) Is there any limitation for WordPress website?
WordPress can be used for e-commerce sites, membership sites, photo galleries and any other type of site you can think of. There are no such limitations for WordPress.
4) What is the latest version of WordPress?
The latest version of WordPress is 4.4 released in Sept, 2015.
5) Is it possible to SEO a WordPress site to show it on Google first page?
WordPress has an in-built SEO search engine benefit. You can also have an additional plug-in in WordPress to help with SEO and rank on a popular search engine like Google.
6) What is the difference between character 23 and x23?
Here 23 specifies the octal 23 and x23 specifies the hex 23.
7) What are hooks? Define the different type of hooks in WordPress.
Hooks enable users to create WordPress themes or plug-ins with shortcode without changing the original files.
There are two types of hooks:
Action hooks: Action hooks facilitate you to insert an additional code from an outside resource.
Filter hooks: Filter hooks facilitate you to add a content or text at the end of the post.
8) What are the most interesting and useful features of WordPress?
These are the features which make WordPress very popular:
- Easy to install and upgrade
- In-built SEO engine
- Free and easy theme selection
- Multilingual- available in more than 70 languages
- Own data- no unwanted advert on your website
- Flexibility and Easy publishing option
9) Why does WordPress use MySQL?
Following are the reasons to use MySQL with WordPress:
- Open source
- Extremely fast
- Widely available database server
- Supported by low cost Linux hosting
10) How many tables are there in WordPress by default?
At present version, there are about 11 tables in WordPress by default. You can check the number of tables in WordPress by phpMyAdmin.
Note: The number of tables may be changed with successive releases.
11) What is loop in WordPress?
WordPress uses PHP codes to display posts. This PHP code is known as loop.
12) How can you disable the WordPress comment?
You can disable the WordPress comment on editing on dashboard. On the dashboard, under the options- discussion you find “Allow people to post comment”. Uncheck this to disable comment.
13) How can you handle the situation if your WordPress file is hacked?
You should follow these steps:
- Install security plug-ins like WP security
- Re-install the latest version of WordPress
- Change password and user-ids for all your users
- Check your themes and plug-ins are up to date
14) What are the plugins you can use to create contact form in WordPress?
You can use plug-in like Gravity forms or also you can use a free plugin contact form 7 to create a contact form in WordPress.
15) Which is considered more secured wordpress.com or wordpress.org?
WordPress.com is relatively more secure than wordpress.org because they limit the themes and also does not allow installing plugin’s. However, security is depending on the hosting company of your website and also what are the steps they are taking to prevent the security problems.
16) How can you call a constructor for a parent class?
You can call a constructor for a parent class by this way:
- Parents:: constructor($value)
17) In what cases WordPress is not suitable for the website?
Following are some situations when WordPress is not recommended.
- If the client is working on non-CMS based project.
- For complex and innovative e-commerce sites.
- Sites requiring custom scripting solutions.
18) What is the difference between custom themes and normal themes?
Custom themes are very easy to format. You don’t need much technical knowledge to change in the coding part. Custom theme allows for SEO search, but with a SEO plugin available it would not make much difference to normal theme.
19) Is WordPress the best CMS or there any CMS better than WordPress?
No doubt WordPress is good CMS but Drupal and Joomla are considered better CMS than WordPress to work with.
20) What are meta-tags in WordPress?
Meta-tags are keyword and description that are used to display website or page information.